Friday, July 13, 2012

After 20 Years, Why I'm Still Teaching - Dr. George Grant

Dr. George Grant
This, from my long-distance high school Humanities teacher's blog, applies to me so much!


1. I get to love what I love in front of my students.
2. I inevitably learn more--even more than those I’m teaching.
3. I have a great excuse to buy more books.
4. And then, I have a great excuse to read more books.
5. I am forced to make real-life connections rather than simply pontificate in the theoretical.
6. I am provoked to think about the future and scrutinize the present through the lens of the past.
7. I am able to reacquaint myself with the best of our great legacy of art, music, and ideas.
8. I get the satisfaction of seeing the “lights come on.”
9. I am constantly prodded to hone my communications skills.
10. I get to bear testimony to the grace and mercy of God, in space, in time, and in me.
11. I am privileged to catch early glimpses of the future leaders of our culture in action.

-Dr. George Grant,  http://eleventary.blogspot.com/2011/05/after-20-years-why-im-still-teaching.html

No comments: